Promo Distributors Get Crushed by Not Being Innovative!
I have been on the supply side of this business for 25 years. In the past 15 years (as a supplier) I have become a total stats geek. This has given me some insights.
I have watched our industry change significantly and have some information that I think our Average ASI Distributor should pay attention to.
If not…..well….they may get crushed!
Point forms (as who has time to read ?)
- The average age of distributors is now 53 years old (ASI stat).
- The average age of marketing managers is 34 years old (AD Weekly)
- Millenials are very comfortable buying online ( Amazon press release 2017 states 87% of Millenials will buy online)
- Distributors tend to sell in their comfort zone….”He’s a T-shirt guy, or he’s a Mug Guy” are common phrases to our industry.
- T-shirts and Mugs are easy to find online.
If you take into account all of the above irrefutable points you will come to the following conclusions.
- The marketing managers of today are comparing you to what they find online. They are MORE COMFORTABLE buying online than they are in dealing with you face-to-face! Say what you want about “personal touch and service”, Millenials hate face to face and feel more comfortable texting and ordering online.
- You need to get outside of your comfort zone (“He’s a T-shirt guy, or he’s a Mug Guy”) and get some new ideas in front of your clients.
Here is where I come into play.
I don’t supply the boring things….I supply the creative, unique and unusual!
So……as a distributor….are you going to get crushed or are you going to make it work? Rise up, get into new ideas and make yourself invaluable to your customers.